Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hasta Luego Bolivia, Hola Peru

I´ve been in Cusco Peru for a few days now, and its slowly becoming one of my top cities. I left La Paz on Friday, and went to Copacabana to visit the Isla del Sol, or Island of the Sun. Its a small island where the Incas believe the sun was born. On the way to Copacabana I hoped on a local bus from La Paz, and was the only gringo tourist on the bus. Halfway there the bus suddenly stopped and everyone got off, not knowing what to do I also just got off. Turns out theres a small lake you have to cross, the boat goes on this floating barge, and everyone else gets in a smaller boat that rides along side the boat with the bus. After a lot of obvious confusion I made it to the other side, and arrived in Copacabana with all my stuff. The Isla del Sol was a beautiful island, I got dropped off at the north end, and walked down to the South. You walk through little towns and past pigs, llamas, donkeys, cows, that are just freely walking down the same path you are. I met a lone Austrian on the 4hr trek down the island, and we started hiking together. Turns out his name is Gregor, pronounced in the most Austrian way possible, and his birthday is a day before mine (although he is turning 40). I left Copacabana, Bolivia, the next morning for Cusco, Peru. I hoped on a tourist bus that crosses the border and everything seemed fine until we got to the border. The driver was calm and cracking jokes during the trip to the border, but when we got there, he stopped at the immigration office and started yelling for us to hurry. I couldnt understand him in his hustled frantic state, but he was uttering something about police coming and how he HAD to leave. Anyways we all got off the bus, passed immigration, and walked into Peru where we saw him up the road waiting for us. The Peru-Bolivia border was friendly and quick, MUCH better than the Argentina-Bolivia border, where the was one guy working in a wooden shack blaring Guns and Roses, after waiting by myself since 5:30am....

Anyways Im looking for an agency to do a 3 day trek to Machu Picchu, hopefully one with mountain biking, white water rafting, and a bit of hiking. Hope its warming up for everyone in Canada, see you soon.

Greg

1 comment:

  1. that sounds awesome man, good to hear ur making friends with older men ;p. as for canada, its snowed twice in april so far...... ><

    ReplyDelete